1. Quart de 8 à minuit. Houle du large - Ciel couvert se dégageant au coucher du soleil - Rien en vue
2. Quart de minuit à 4. Très beau temps - Mer très belle - Rien de particulier - Clair de lune
3. Quart de 4 à 8. La terre en vue droit devant
The Sorcerer's Apprentice
La Mer, trois esquisses symphoniques pour orchestre
1. De l'aube à midi sur la mer (From dawn to noon on the sea)
2. Jeux de vagues (Play of the waves)
3. Dialogue du vent et de la mer (Dialogue of the wind and the sea)
Certain parts of this program are not currently available
concertMathieu Herzog conducts Debussy, Cras, and Dukas — With the Appassionato orchestraLa Seine Musicale
La Seine Musicale
Mathieu Herzog conducts Debussy, Cras, and Dukas — With the Appassionato orchestraLa Seine Musicale
Matthieu Herzog and his orchestra Appassionato invite you to be present for the recording of their new album Mer(s), captured in the grand auditorium of La Seine Musicale just outside Paris!
Their program puts three French greats in the spotlight, beginning with Debussy's La Cathédrale engloutie, inspired by a Breton legend of a sunken cathedral rising from the depths. By the time the edifice has sunk back into the water, the strains of its mighty organ can still be heard distantly in a haunting final pianissimo. Back on the surface we are treated to a work by Jean Cras, a composer, naval officer, and inventor who created several valuable inventions for seafarers and a considerable musical oeuvre including Journal de bord (Ship's Log), a symphonic suite inspired by his experiences at sea. Next up is Paul Dukas's enchanting The Sorcerer's Apprentice, well known to many audiences from the famous sequence in Disney's Fantasia, before the program concludes with another Debussy favorite: La Mer, an Impressionist masterpiece in three evocative movements.